More on Tools, Creating a Need
After experimenting, comparing costs and usability. I’ve concluded that the best tool is PHPBB. I’ve talked to some critical friends that have used it and are using it and I’m very impressed. On top of that, one of the other appealing factors is that it is free J I’m working on securing a site and hosting and I need to get it installed and downloaded. Although initially I was disappointed I couldn’t use some other tool that was already set up ( I tested several corporate geared tools ), ultimately I think this will actually be a better move. I think it will not only provide me a more thorough understanding of the program and I won’t have to rely on others reporting and expertise. In addition, it will allow me to use this interface for other cycles and other groups of people which I would like to incorporate similar technologies and situations for.
I am concerned about the amount of time this is going to take me to learn however, there is no time like the present.
In addition, looking at the phpbb website I see there is a very active community of people. This will give me some hands on experience participating in a community similar to the one I’m creating. The similarities will be that it is knowledge that I need to know and learn for a specific application and that I’m not required to participate in it but rather on an as needed basis. I think that’s an important differentiation from the cadre community which have clear compelling reasons for participation and where everyone’s motivation and reasons are basically the same.
Further analyzing this, one of the biggest potential pitfalls for this community, is lack of participation. I am trying to make sure to build value into the process and to make sure the users feel it is not just taking extra time but that it is actually something that will help them. It is going to be critical that I create a need and then present this as a solution to the need.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home