How do I fit in??
During all of our initial research about Action Research the one major theme has been being a part of the project, not an outsider. I believe this is also why I had some difficulties initially since in many environments I work in, my role as consultant is traditionally viewed as outsider much of the time. After further analysis, however I realized that my initial view of myself as outsider wasn’t totally accurate. Although I’m not an “employee” in any of the situations I work in, that is a very narrow view of insider versus outsider. Some of the places I have been consulting and contracting I have been a part of the community for nearly 8 years. Perhaps, I might be more of an “insider” than I think. The group for action research in relation to my question, is really somewhat of a community of people learning, some of the time I believe this might be a CoP and other perhaps a CoL and others not a defined community.
Building on the assumption of using the group of employees which I will train and have trained last summer, my role is “software expert.” I was introduced to them as the person to train them on the majority of software applications. This group has a pretty tight bond since they spend somewhere around 5 weeks together when they are first hired, and then another 5 weeks together 6 weeks later. Although I’m not one of the group being trained, I’m not the leader of ALL the training. They know me as a consultant to the company but contact me with questions on any of the applications I trained them on via email. I’ve been working with these groups of people for several years so I have a general idea of how the relationships start, progress and are maintained.
With all these groups, I work very hard at being approachable and maintaining relationships after these trainings are complete. My rapport is good with all of them and they view me as an expert with these applications. My industry knowledge isn’t as strong although I do understand the nuts and bolts. Perhaps this is something that would give me more credibility. I feel like my knowledge is basic enough to provide relevant samples and industry integrated curriculum. Perhaps I can do even more, however. I think in my first round of training is fairly integrated but maybe there are room for enhancements. I would like to reevaluate this now that I have some framework from my curr and tech class also.
Further exploring my role in the knowledge building, I think I will have to become diligent in encouraging people to post their questions when they do email me and also in knowing what is out there and encouraging people to look there. Another thing I think I can do is to post answers there and route them to the site. I think this will get them in the habit. I think it will still be very ME centered for a while until people get the hang. Even if this is the case, it is providing them a place to source all this information and refer to it and log it for future reference.
I think I need to keep exploring and analyzing ME.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home